Apr 14, 2007

Not A Bovine Expert

The curly locks on the beard and those disinterested eyes - oh, and that tongue - all combined to prompt me to post this photo.

I'm thinking this beast is a yak, but I am far from a bovine expert (unless you want to talk steak). Did you know that there are twenty four species of medium-sized to large ungulates (a group to which bovines belong) out there? I didn't either. I don't have the time to compile a comprehensive list of said ungulates, but I imagine most have been yoked with a plow or have been bred for the dinner plate.

UPDATE: I am a fool. According to many of you, this is no cow, but a goat! Most likely an angora. One of you should be running this blog, not me.

Photo source: Knuttz.net

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's actually a sheep. ;)

Clare said...

You sure that isn't a goat?

Arachnophile said...

I'm willing to put money down that this is a kind of goat. Not much money but some none-the-less. ;)

Ginger said...

I'm thinkin' an angora goat, maybe? Definitely a goat, though.
http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/goats/angora/

Arachnophile said...

I was thinking angora too but the horns are throwing me. Perhaps the perspective is odd.

Heelp, goat experts? Any goatologists in the house? (I bet there's an actual name for that that doesn't have the word 'goat' in it. ;)

Anonymous said...

I actually think he is cute! I wanna comb his hair and put a big bow in it...

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking it's a goat or sheep too - bovines don't have eyes like that.

Anonymous said...

I believe it's a cashmere goat. The fleece on an angora goat is kinkier, but cashmere is more straight like on this goat.

But yeah, it's a goat.

Goalzilla said...

This brought such a smile to my face!

Arachnophile said...

Puh-LEASE, you are no fool. Be nice to yourself. My gosh, you can tell the difference between an amphibian and a reptile which is sadly, not the case for A LOT of people who are under-exposed to our animal friends. :p

No trash-talkin' our favorite Blogger. *shakes finger @ teh wombat* ;)

Raging Wombat said...

Thanks for coming to my defense, Arachnophile. :)

Anonymous said...

:) He is an angora/cashmere goat (a handsome boy at that) and what he is doing is flapping his tongue most likely at a nearby doe in heat.. it is a pre-mating ritual the billy boys do to entice the ladies.. Goat Breeding info
reposted because I messed up the profile choice :)