Nov 26, 2007

Some Discretion

The face below comes with two names. The first one is kind of pretty and picturesque: lattice-wing bat. The second one is ugly, and suits are purposes far better: wrinkle-faced bat (Centureo senex).

This endangered bat is a nocturnal denizen of Central America. Where most echo-locating bats are equipped with a dainty (but still repulsive) leaf-shaped nasal appendage with which to collect their sensory data, this fellow has elected to grow fleshy folds and lumps all over his face for the same purposes.

But this bat can display some discretion. During the day, while roosting, he covers his face with a flap of skin that he pulls up from below his chin and hooks to an appendage at the top of his skull. I wish a neighbor of mine had that same ability.

For those of you who fear bats, vampires, and demons, you needn't fear this creature. It dines on fruits.

Thanks for the photo, Booge.

7 comments:

BooBooKitty said...

I can honestly say that's the ugliest thing I've ever seen. And I like bats! yuk

Christina Acker said...

He looks like one of those asian dumplings. Please pass the soy sauce.

Anonymous said...

Terrifying, terrifying face. But I'm sure it has a nice personality. Amazing pic!

Arachnophile said...

I know not what to say... I can usually find the CUTE in anything but. That. Face.

It even looks kind of spongy and moist which doesn't help the poor lil' fella at all.

Anonymous said...

Ok, I was just fine until you said you had a neighbor that you wish could do that... Thanks a lot. I'm now cleaning salsa offa my keyboard.

Anonymous said...

Keep in mind guys, the fact that this thing has been sitting in formaldehyde won't be helping it's complexion...

Arachnophile said...

LOL - that would explain why all the pictures I googled of this sp. weren't nearly this gross looking. I assumed it was alive but it looked pathogenic. ;)