Jan 2, 2009

That's Some Prolific Pig

I know, I'm posting on something that's already been covered by Cute Overload. But bear in mind I'm looking at the adult, not the adorable piglets.

Anyways...



















China knows how to do pigs right. Well, wrinkly at least. Just like so many of their other animals (think shar pei and pug). You're looking at the
meishan pig, which is a domesticated breed known for being slow growing and delicious. They are also one of the most prolific pigs. They reach puberty by the time they're three months old, and can have two litters a year. Add to that a high embryo survival rate, and you've got yourself a pig that can take over the world. I'm thinking Animal Farm here, only with a Chinese flavor to it. Not terribly inappropriate.

Thanks for the meishan, Laura.

4 comments:

Sabina E. said...

That adult pig definitely looks like a pug... gross.

Jessica Olin said...

The adult looks something like what my imagination conjured up when I read Thomas Harris' Hannibal. *shiver*

Melvin Laso said...

wow... I bet the only time they look good is when they're grilled and on my dinner plate. Pretty damn ugly... hahaha.

Danielle said...

Ok, see, I have a soft spot for animals with huge ears...