Dec 23, 2009

Plaintive Puppy

First of all, Happy Birthday to Ugly Overload. The blog turns four years old today. That's past middle-aged for a blog, especially given that I do at least one post for every day of the year. And as luck would have it, Blogger is showing me that this blog now has exactly 1,500 posts. That's a whole lotta ugly.

... a whole lotta hours ... with nary a cent to show for it ... I'm surprised my wife has been so accommodating.

Back to the uglies.

Laura captured this beastie in her home town of Redding, CA. She's wondering if its a barn spider or a wolf spider, or if maybe that's the same thing. Regardless, she let the poor thing go. Who could deny that plaintive look? It's actually pulling off a decent pupp-do-eyes face. It's now roaming the wilds of northern california -- a blessed couple of hours from me.

I'm thinking it's a wolfie, with those two forward eyes. Thanks for the photos, Laura.



10 comments:

Kat said...

Who could resist multiple eyes like that? Adorable!

Happy Birthday Ugly Overload!!!

stephen begin said...

almost definitely a wolf spider based on that eye arrangement.

Adorably Dead said...

It does look very pleading. Can almost hear it say, "Please let me go and I won't inject any poison I may have into you!" lol. Happy B-day and New Year and whatever else I may miss Ugly Overload!

JAS said...

Happy Birthday, and may I complement you on choosing a spider, source of so many nightmares no matter how cute anyone may think these critters are, to celebrate...(shudder)

Laura said...

Thanks for taking my pics! I think he's such a cutie! =P

piese auto said...

I do not like spiders in any way. Do not know why.asigurari auto

DanaKara said...

AWWWW! she's such a cutie!! *adores*

Thanks for this. Made my day. Happy bday Ugly Overload!

jadine said...

Wolf spider.

Ghost said...

wow I missed a lot of posts. wonder why it does not up date for you
Just checking in on everyone for delurking week and leaving notes.

Unknown said...

Hippo birdies, Ugly Overload!

You may not make much money, but you sure make my life more interesting. Speaking up for the less-charismatic side of nature to remind us that miracles aren't always pretty....